On May 25 (Memorial Day), we will take time to remember and honor those who have served this great nation. On May 9, children everywhere are given the day off of school* to spend National Lost Sock Memorial Day in remembrance of the partners of now-partner-less socks who had once served their great feet.
* Fine, it’s a Saturday and they wouldn’t have had school, anyhow. That fact alone doesn’t change the importance of this important holiday!
Almost everyone knows what it is like to mourn the loss of a favorite sock. It’s so commonplace that it is now one of the up-and-coming premier national holidays. If you have diabetes, however, the loss is even greater because of how beneficial diabetic socks can be for those who live with this disease.
Foot care has a heightened importance if you live with diabetes. There are a variety of conditions and ailments that can quickly turn into serious medical complications for your feet. One of many steps you can take to help prevent a major issue is to wear these specially constructed socks. They often have the following characteristics:
- Seamless – This is to prevent blisters and ulcers from developing.
- Moisture-wicking – When feet are damp, it creates an ideal condition for skin infections.
- Breathable – Certain fabrics are better than others at allow the feet to breathe and stay dry.
- Fitted – Loose fabric, especially in socks, rubs against skin and can cause injuries.
- Padded – This feature protects the foot from injury by providing ample cushioning.
If you or a loved one has diabetes, celebrate National Lost Sock Memorial Day 2015 by letting go of partner-less socks, tossing them in the trash can (lovingly, of course), and purchase a new pair or two of affordable, high-quality diabetic socks from any of our offices.
Central Arkansas Foot Care is your number one resource when it comes to diabetic foot care. Our expert staff is ready to assist you or your loved one who is living with this condition. Stop in today at any of our three locations—Malvern, Arkadelphia, or Hot Springs, AR—to pick up your new socks, or contact us to request an appointment. Call us at (501) 321-4844 or use our online form.
Photo Credit: VMD Services